←  Pregnancy: Tips, Questions and Information

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Only one artery

pollie79's Photo pollie79 17 May 2019

Hi everyone
I had a scan today (14 weeks) and doctor can only see one artery.  The pediatrician doctor will look further into it next week.  Doctor was honest that it could be something wrong.  Anyone gone through this? Thanks

Soontobegran's Photo Soontobegran 17 May 2019

Happens in about 1-100 babies and it generally does not result in anything of worry.

There will be extra vigilance at further scans to watch baby's growth and renal development but generally it is not something to be concerned about.
Before scans we only found out about this after the birth of a healthy baby when we examined the cord and placenta.

Good luck.

IamtheMumma's Photo IamtheMumma 17 May 2019

And there could be nothing wrong. Try not to panic until you've got all the information. By itself, a single umbilical artery it is something to keep an eye on. It is very common. They might do a couple more scans later on in the pregnancy.

However, it is a soft marker for chromosomal abnormalities. If you've had a nuchal and that is normal, then it is very unlikely it is related to a chromosomal concern.

rowd's Photo rowd 17 May 2019

I had the same thing, and turns out they were wrong. Ask for a second opinion at your next scan. I had it checked twice and it wasn't until a growth scan in the late third trimester that they finally noticed it was 3 vessel after all. From what I read it is quite often misdiagnosed at early scans.

In the absence of any other markers it is considered a variant of normal. You will most likely have some extra growth scans, and maybe a little more in depth anomaly scan than usual. And I know it's impossible not to worry, but honestly it is very common.

pollie79's Photo pollie79 17 May 2019

Thanks for your replies ladies.  The maternal serum risk came back as low risk and all other things on scan look ok. I have an appointment Tuesday with pediatric heart doctor so hopefully will know more then.

Green lady's Photo Green lady 17 May 2019

By itself, it’s not considered an ‘abnormality’. My last DS had this and I was freaked out when I googled it. I had additional growth scans and monitoring of placental blood flow and DS was born healthy, just was a bit smaller than my other DS (3.6kg v 4.35 kg)

Silly Old Elf's Photo Silly Old Elf 17 May 2019

On its own it isn’t necessarily a problem. I had it with child 2 and no major issues although my uterus was super
Edited by Silly Old Elf, 17 May 2019 - 05:30 PM.

Veritas Vinum Arte's Photo Veritas Vinum Arte 17 May 2019

My second was Single Umbilical Artery (SUA) with no other markers. Happy Healthy nearly 12yo. My OBs take was without other markers not to stress. I had no extra scans or anything.

On further reading I had found a research paper which concluded that in absence of other markers the trend was for a slightly early (38.5wks from memory), slightly smaller (3.2kgs) baby. Nothing wrong.

My SUA baby was my latest (evicted 37.5wks) and largest (3.195 kgs) baby. My other 2 were 2.5kgs (37.5wks) and 2.6kgs (36.3wks) for my last.

Found old paper summary

https://journals.lww...6&type=Abstract

Results A two-vessel umbilical cord was confirmed at birth in 50 neonates. The mean gestational age at delivery was 38.6 ± 2.8 weeks; the mean birth weight was 3202.8 ± 835.8 g.

Conclusion In the absence of additional sonographically detectable anomalies, an isolated single umbilical artery does not seem to affect clinical outcome and therefore should not alter routine obstetric management.
Edited by Veritas Vinum Arte, 18 May 2019 - 01:12 PM.

pollie79's Photo pollie79 19 May 2019

Thanks so much for your replies.  The doctor was so grim.  But this particular imaging place is very pendantic.  Hopefully ok news next week.

Soontobegran's Photo Soontobegran 19 May 2019

View Postpollie79, on 19 May 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

Thanks so much for your replies.  The doctor was so grim.  But this particular imaging place is very pendantic.  Hopefully ok news next week.

Is this doctor an obstetrician? :(

He was. Not my OB the one who is at the scan place.  Not the best bedside manner lol

Soontobegran's Photo Soontobegran 19 May 2019

View Postpollie79, on 19 May 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

He was. Not my OB the one who is at the scan place.  Not the best bedside manner lol

If there are no other markers then what he has said to you is so inaccurate I'd hate to think what he says to everyone else.
He needs to be stopped from giving out this type of scare mongering......it's so wrong.

Yes it seemed wrong.  Even if it wa something really bad, should have been handled better.

IamtheMumma's Photo IamtheMumma 21 May 2019

How'd the appointment go today?

pollie79's Photo pollie79 21 May 2019

Thanks so much for asking.  The appointment was changed to 7::30am this Thursday so will let you know then.  Fingers crossed
Advertisement