←  What Do You Think?

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Towels that stay soft ?

Tinkerbell13's Photo Tinkerbell13 12 Jun 2019

I have some old Sheridan bath towels that feel like sandpaper.
Any suggestions on brands that stay soft ?

Thanks all.
Edited by Tinkerbell13, 12 June 2019 - 10:24 AM.

José's Photo José 12 Jun 2019

bamboo towels stay soft IME.

JuliaD's Photo JuliaD 12 Jun 2019

Unfortunately they seem to all do this with regular washing - especially in a front loader. You could try vinegar in your wash to keep them soft but the best way to keep towels fluffy and soft is to dry them in the dryer.

I do have some Aura towels and Australian House & Garden Towels that seem to be holding up a bit better than others - although I would have said Sheridan towels should be good too.

~LemonMyrtle~'s Photo ~LemonMyrtle~ 12 Jun 2019

The only thing that keeps our towels soft is the tumble dryer. Love our Sheridan towels, but like any of our cotton towels, they turn into cardboard if dried on the line.

JoanJett's Photo JoanJett 12 Jun 2019

I dry them on the line then put them through the dryer for 10 mins to fluff them up.

71Cath's Photo 71Cath 12 Jun 2019

I think I am the only person who prefers rough towels :secret:

hills mum bec's Photo hills mum bec 12 Jun 2019

Our Sheridan towels are 10 years old and still pretty soft.  I don't put them in the clothes dryer but I do wash them on a gentle cycle and lower the spin speed to 800.  I have some Grandeur bath sheets from Target that stay soft and recently bought some towels from Kmart that are still soft after about a year:

https://www.kmart.co...--green/2127361

amdirel's Photo amdirel 12 Jun 2019

71Cath, on 12 June 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

I think I am the only person who prefers rough towels Posted Image

Nope, me too!

lozoodle's Photo lozoodle 12 Jun 2019

Rough towels are the BEST!

Jenflea's Photo Jenflea 12 Jun 2019

I don't care if they're rough or soft, I just like them thick and big!

That sounds like all kinds of wrong, but I like bath sheets, not towels :)

Riotproof's Photo Riotproof 12 Jun 2019

It’s exfoliating!

Poughkeepsie's Photo Poughkeepsie 12 Jun 2019

My Adairs towels have stayed soft for ages and many washes. I do tend to alternate between outside line drying and dryer drying though, if that makes any difference.

Jenflea's Photo Jenflea 12 Jun 2019

I have Adairs towels as well that have stayed pretty soft, but I either dry inside or outside under cover.

I don't own a dryer.

klr75's Photo klr75 12 Jun 2019

View Post71Cath, on 12 June 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

All our towels are crunchy, so I've gotten used to them.  I also think they dry your better

PrincessPeach's Photo PrincessPeach 12 Jun 2019

Bamboo ones stay lovely & soft.

JoanJett's Photo JoanJett 12 Jun 2019

View Post71Cath, on 12 June 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

Nope - I like them in summer particularly.  I have 3 fussy super sensitive males who need the dryer treatment ;)

Babetty's Photo Babetty 12 Jun 2019

I prefer rough towels - the crispness of sun dried ones!

However, my newest Sheridan towels came with instructions to wash in warm water and tumble dry to maintain softness (or line dry until nearly dry and finish in the dryer). Needless to say, I wash in cold and line dry in the Qld sun until crisp!

OrangeSprout's Photo OrangeSprout 12 Jun 2019

Keeping your towels soft mostly depends on how you wash them.

Towels are mainly used to dry our wet bodies off, so do not need a long wash cycle nor do they need a high speed spin.

It is better to use a low speed spin and they dry better.

I too was fed up with dry stiff towels and lowered the spin speed on the front loader and my towels are now much softer.

Yes a spin in  the dryer is good for soft towels too.

Remember don't use fabric softener as it places a coating on the fabric and stops them from being absorbent.

Goodluck :)

can'tstayaway's Photo can'tstayaway 12 Jun 2019

I asked Miele years ago when I got my first front loader and washed shocked by the crunchiness of the towels. I then cloth nappied 3 babies and worked out my system.

It’s the lack of moisture and compression of fibres from high spin speeds plus fast drying time that makes the towels stiff. Detergent residue can add to the problem.

I lower the spin speed so more moisture is left in the towels. I use the anti crease option on my machine which tosses the washing around after the cycle has finished and fluffs up the fibres. Give the towels a good flick and shake before hanging them on the line in half. It creates a double thickness and slows down drying but the two sides that face each other are softer than the outer sides. I dry in the shade and try to line them up near each other to create a moist microclimate.

These days I use the dryer because my kids have allergies and line drying causes them problems.

Mollycoddle's Photo Mollycoddle 12 Jun 2019

lozoodle, on 12 June 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

Rough towels are the BEST!

Me too! You don't even know what dry is until you use a scratchy towel!

Juella's Photo Juella 12 Jun 2019

I bought these last Christmas and they’re lovely and soft (and light!):

https://wovii.com/

wanting3's Photo wanting3 12 Jun 2019

As per cantstayaway there is a method to drying towels. No softener, it stops the absorbency, slow spin, and you must 'snap' your towels to loosen the fibers. This is very important. Also hang them really early, out of direct sunlight, as direct sunlight will 'burn' the fibres into shape, and give you the scratchy feel. This is also true for cloth nappies, even the all in ones, as they go by the same concept of absorbency.
The slower the drying the better for softness and absorb. Also a strip wash with vinegar will reinvigorate your towels to be softer, if you follow the above and to also be much more absorbent.
ETS
Edited by wanting3, 12 June 2019 - 09:00 PM.

Chelli's Photo Chelli 12 Jun 2019

I found my towels end up softer if there is wind when I hang them outside. They are stiff and crunchy when there is no wind.

Froyo's Photo Froyo 13 Jun 2019

Nope. I'm another rough towel fan.

IShallWearMidnight's Photo IShallWearMidnight 13 Jun 2019

Rough towel fan too.

Ours are generally soft though. I don't use much detergent and only a short wash. Everything is line/rack dried here.
Advertisement