←  OPKs, HPTs and BFPs

Essential Baby

»
Advertisement

Confused!

Mumof3specs's Photo Mumof3specs 26 Jul 2019

I did a digital at 4 wks 2 days and it said "Pregnant 1-2".  I had some spotting and cramping and so I had some qauntative blood tests done 2 days apart which showed my levels hadn't doubled. First results was 137, second result 2 days later was 152.Doctor said it isn't viable as it didn't double.  

We grieved and mourned, and I've been expecting the worst and waiting to bleed, but it hasnt happened.

Today I took another digital at what would be 5 weeks along to see if my levels are decreasing so I can get an idea of when I will bleed and it came up "Pregnant 2-3". What the? I am so confused. The doctor said its not a viable pregnancy if the hcg doesn't double. So I am not sure what's going on ?? Where do I go from here? Ive been drinking coffee and stuff thinking I am no longer pregnant....
Edited by Mumof3specs, 26 July 2019 - 11:16 AM.

Caribou's Photo Caribou 26 Jul 2019

Oh don’t do those tests hun, I’ve been there and it’s brutal watching that. When my Pregnancy was non-viable the levels rised slowly for a few weeks, even with bleeding for 8 weeks. I made a terrible mistake testing before we went away for a weekend and the line was so strong I thought could they be wrong?

It was a further 1 week before miscarriage happened properly. It is possible for levels to rise but not be viable.

I’m really sorry OP. I’ve seen the other thread, I didn’t get a chance to comment so I really sympathise the position you’re in.

If you’re unsure, I recommend seeing a second GP. I confess I went to another as I didn’t believe my first, but the second gave me more info and an ultrasound referral  so I could process and move on.

AllyK81's Photo AllyK81 26 Jul 2019

I would perhaps be asking for an ultrasound in a few days. Those tests can really mess with your head.

Froyo's Photo Froyo 26 Jul 2019

View PostAllyK81, on 26 July 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

I would perhaps be asking for an ultrasound in a few days. Those tests can really mess with your head.
Ultrasounds won't show anything unless hcg is closer to 1000.

OP how sure are you of your ovulation date?

Mumof3specs's Photo Mumof3specs 26 Jul 2019

Yes I'm pretty sure of when I ovulated going by opk but didnt temp or anything.

Maybe I'll get referral for ultrasound just to get confirmation. Surely it would show nothing there if no longer pregnant? If I am maybe there will be a blip or sack or something?

I don't understand how the levels can rise if the pregnancy is no longer viable. And I haven't had any red blood.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Edited by Mumof3specs, 26 July 2019 - 12:06 PM.

Mrs Claus's Photo Mrs Claus 26 Jul 2019

Mine rose (slowly) and my body thought it was pregnant (morning sickness etc) had bleeding from 5 weeks but nothing on ultrasound at 6 and then 8 weeks. Ended up having a d&c at 12 weeks as still hadn’t miscarried naturally.

It’s so hard being in that ‘limbo’ stage. Take care

Demera's Photo Demera 26 Jul 2019

View PostMumof3specs, on 26 July 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Maybe I'll get referral for ultrasound just to get confirmation. Surely it would show nothing there if no longer pregnant? If I am maybe there will be a blip or sack or something?

I don't understand how the levels can rise if the pregnancy is no longer viable. And I haven't had any red blood.

You may still have 'products of conception' generating HCG hormones, even if the pregnancy has failed.  You definitely need to go back to your GP, or another GP for follow up and support.  They shouldn't just leave you hanging, but they may ask you to wait and see what happens.

I had three miscarriages, with rising HCG each time, and required a D&C each time as I failed to miscarry naturally. It's really confusing and crappy, I'm sorry.

zeldazonk's Photo zeldazonk 26 Jul 2019

Definitely go back to your GP. Slow rising and low hcg and spotting can be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. At the very least they should do another hcg test to see what is happening.  If you get shoulder pain or really severe pain please go straight to hospital.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had 3 miscarriages in the last 2 years, 2 of which went on for several week and ended in D&Cs.  I know how awful the limbo stage is and I know how much you want to hope for a positive outcome. Look after yourself and make sure you push for answers. Sometimes GPs can be quite clueless about pregnancy and miscarriage.

Froyo's Photo Froyo 26 Jul 2019

View PostMumof3specs, on 26 July 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

No an ultrasound won't pick anything up either way unless hcg levels are around the 1000 mark.
Unfortunately all you can do at this stage is repeat bloods every couple of days. It's possible you ovulated later than you think explaining the low hcg levels.  
I've had 6 miscarriages including a ruptured ectopic. The waiting is torturous but unfortunately there's no short cut to knowing at this stage.
Edited by Froyo, 26 July 2019 - 05:53 PM.

Crazyhouseholdof6's Photo Crazyhouseholdof6 26 Jul 2019

I was going to say could it be a missed miscarriage? I only knew I had miscarried when I went for my 12week scan, no symptoms but they found Bub stopped growing at 7 weeks so I had to have a D&C asap a second they were worried about infection.
I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Fast Reply

Advertisement